Troop 219 Hikers,
The Reed Lake Hike is scheduled for August 8 and is open to all, and is ranked in the top hikes for the area….what a great opportunity! This hike is rated as a moderate hike as there are boulder fields that can be tricky, especially when wet. For the younger scouts, I would highly recommend a parent come along. For those wishing to count this towards your hiking Merit Badge, you need to let me know in advance as there are requirements that must be completed before the hike.
For additional information and pictures on this hike, please visit this link.
Date: 8 August (Saturday)
- meet at JLC 0800 AM / Depart by 0830
- Arrive approximately 0930
- Hike from approximately 1000 to 4/5 PM then drive back
- Arrive back at JLC approximately 5/6 PM
Location: Hatchers Pass. Parking will be limited as the normal Archangel road is closed and we’ll need to park in a small area next to the road. This will add about 2 miles each way to the hike for a total of 14 miles round trip.
- What to bring … (Weather conditions change rapidly in mountainous environments, dictating the need to bring the right gear including the following as bing the most important
- comfortable hike cloths - please NO COTTON.
- Sturdy Hiking footwear with socks
- full water bottle, Bring a water filter if you have one
- 10 essentials, etc that you would normally need.
- A Rain jacket is an excellent idea - We’ll check the weather before we leave.
Adults leading this hike will be myself and James Fueg. For this hike to be very successful, we would like to have a few more willing adults … and of course older scouts :).
If you are interested, please sign up at this sunday’s scout meeting or send email to frozen firstname.lastname@example.org as carpooling will need to be worked out ahead of time.
Troop 219, Alaska
Cell (907) 205-0705
An update for the Crow Pass Hike this weekend. We are now planning on hiking the entire trail on Sunday 12 July. For those daring souls wishing to join us, please send email to me (click my name below) or text to 907-205-0705 as soon as possible.
Again the plan is the same, only we will not be overnighting.
Although many of our scouts are at camp, there are still a lot of us here this week. As noted on the Troop Calendar, the Crow Pass hike is scheduled for this weekend Saturday - Sunday (11/12 July). For those who would like to participate in this overnight backpack trip traversing 24+ miles and crossing the Eagle River, please send an email to:
email@example.com or text during the day 907-205-0705. Please let me know as soon as possible for planning purposes.
The basic plan is to leave Eagle River early on Saturday morning and be picked up at the ERNC Sunday between 3 and 6 PM. For those attending, additional information to follow.
The current roster includes the following:
Adults: Jeff Estes, Dean Denter
Scouts: Dayton, Josh
The latest news on our activities.