Scouts and Scouting Parents,
The Rock Gym overnighter is quickly approaching and I would like to get some basic information out to the troop for this event. For those scouts/parent staying overnight AND that are 14 + years old, it’s highly recommended to become belay trained. The training is held M-Friday 7-9 PM, Sat 1-3 PM. Cost is $10 and last as long as certification remains on file. AK gym staff recommends getting this ahead of time before the event night. Let me KNOW who gets trained this week & who needs training Saturday evening.
We'll meet Joy Lutheran Church at 7:30 PM Saturday April 23rd to rendezvous, collect troop permission forms, rock gym waiver paperwork (minor & adult), and $25 (covers the rental cost and food). This is an overnight event until 9:00 AM Sunday morning - we should be departing rock gym around 8 AM. We have limited drivers, so parents are responsible for transportation or arrange carpooling to & from the rock gym. Bring cash, check, or use Scout Account if you have a positive balance.
Food will be provide by the troop and is included in the $25. It's best to eat a little dinner at home before you come out. Saturday's midnight food will be cracker barrel style with snacks with hot dogs, cheese and cracker and other goodies.
Sunday breakfast – simple and tasty, quick and easy.
Address: Alaska Rock Gym • 4840 Fairbanks Street, Anchorage AK 99503 • (907) 562-7265
See Attached Documents:
Troop Permission Slip, &
AK Rock Gym Waivers for Adult & Minor
Let me know if you have any questions...all parents welcome.
Check List & Notes:
• We will be staying the night / bring $25, T-219 permission slip & AK Rock Gym waiver
• Bring a “Helmet”
• Belayers' bring LEATHER GLOVES
• Bring water bottle
• You can bring healthy snacks, but energy drinks
• Climb in shorts or very loose sweats
• Bring sleeping bag & ground pad…cot & ear plugs optional
• Bring sleep wear…shorts or sweats & t-shirt will work
• Bring own toiletries for the AM
• Bring one-bag or day pack for all personal gear
• Put your name on everything!
• Make sure you eat a good dinner before you come
• Cracker-Barrel snacks for Saturday night provided
• Continental style breakfast Sunday morning provided
• We need at least 7 chaperones to help run the event and stay the night
• Scouts age 14 & older and adults need to get belay trained before hand
• If there are additional questions, contact Jeff Estes
• WE NEED DRIVERS……If you are not on the troop roster as a registered drive yet, please sign up in advance.
The latest news on our activities.