Scouts & Parents,
The Rock Gym overnighter is quickly approaching and I would like to get some basic information out to the troop for this event. For those scouts/parent staying overnight AND that are 14 + years old, it’s highly recommended to become belay trained. The training is held M-Friday 7-9 PM, Sat 1-3 PM. Cost is $10 and last as long as certification remains on file. AK gym staff recommends getting this ahead of time before the event night. Let me KNOW who gets trained this week & who needs training Saturday evening.
We'll meet Joy Lutheran Church at 7:30 PM Saturday 18 Apr to rendezvous, collect troop permission forms, rock gym waiver paperwork (minor & adult), and $25 (covers the rental cost and food). This is an overnight event until 9:00 AM Sunday morning. We have limited drivers, so parents are responsible for transportation or arrange carpooling to & from the rock gym and/or JLC. Bring cash, check, or use Scout Account if you have a positive balance.
Food! It’s what’s always on my mind. Food will be provide by the troop and is included in the $25
Saturday dinner - You’re welcome to eat before for you come and have midnight cracker barrel style snacks with hot dogs, cheese and cracker and other goodies.
Sunday breakfast – simple and tasty, quick and easy.
Address: Alaska Rock Gym • 4840 Fairbanks Street, Anchorage AK 99503 • (907) 562-7265
See Attached Documents:
Rock Gym Roster
Troop Permission Slip, &
AK Rock Gym Waivers for Adult & Minor
Let me know if you have any questions...all parents welcome.
Check List & Notes:
• We will be staying the night / bring $20, T-219 permission slip & AK Rock Gym waiver
• Bring a “Helmet”
• Belayers' bring LEATHER GLOVES
• Bring water bottle
• You can bring healthy snacks, but energy drinks
• Climb in shorts or very loose sweats
• Bring sleeping bag & ground pad…cot & ear plugs optional
• Bring sleep wear…shorts or sweats & t-shirt will work
• Bring own toiletries for the AM
• Bring one-bag or day pack for all personal gear
• Put your name on everything!
• Make sure you eat a good dinner before you come
• Cracker-Barrel snacks for Saturday night provided
• Continental style breakfast Sunday morning provided
• We need at least 7 chaperones to help run the event and stay the night
• Scouts age 14 & older and adults need to get belay trained before hand
• If there are additional questions, contact Jeff Estes
• WE NEED DRIVERS……the 9 adult chaperones will not be able to take all 40 Scouts. You must be on the troop driving list and turned your drivers info into Mr. Strickland
The latest news on our activities.