1). No Scout Meeting today... Campers returning from Crescent Lake around 4:00 PM today.
2). Troop committee meeting Wednesday evening, 7:30 pm @ JLC. ALL COMMITTEE members should attend. Additionally, all parents welcome to attend...join the troop committee and get involved...thx
3). We have 2-weeks left to go for our annual wreath sales fundraiser. A scout is thrifty...please do your BEST. We only have about 1/2 of our registered scouts participating. Get with Mr. Nevells and pick up a wreath pkg. Older scouts please pass on your customers to younger boys in the troop...thx.
4). Troop Elections coming up in a couple week. Get ready...think about your next leadership position.
5. Thanks to ALL who participated in Keith Sellers Eagle Court of Honor last Wednesday.
Scouts & Parents, Crescent Lake Hike is Fri 20 Oct - Sun 22 Oct
1) Please review "attached" Crescent Lake Roster and update your status this Sunday...are YOU going or NOT. We had several boys missing last Sunday...all hikers and parents should be at Sunday's meeting
2) Use the attached backpacking check list. Please don't exceed 20-25% of your body weight. Experienced scouts should not exceed 35lbs
3) New Scouts #11-22 on the roster should bring their backpack (packed) and ready for INSPECTION this Sunday...including your hiking boots
4) All Scouts will pick a "Scout" tent partner and cooking partner... update roster this Sunday.
5) Scout backpacking tents & stoves provided "IF NEEDED"
6) Scout brining own tent, stove, and water filter...IF-SO, please update roster comments column on Sunday
7) Crescent Lake Hikers > Eat a good breakfast Fri morning,...bring a hearty box lunch, snacks & drinks for ride to Cooper Landing 2hrs...eat on the way and at trailhead before hike. hot tea, hot cider, hot tang, hot GatorAid & hot chocolate is good for the core. You'll need Friday snacks, lunch & dinner, Saturday breakfast, lunch & dinner, and Sunday breakfast & lunch...bring plenty of high-carb / high calorie trail food/snack/mix for hiking...leave candy at home. Bring $20 to cover possible late lunch Sunday at Sunrise inn.
8) SO Far we only have about 22 Scouts helping with the Troop 219 fundraiser Holiday Wreath Sales. This is less than 1/2 of the troop. We need to get this number up to about 30 Scouts so we can meet our annual budget GOAL. Please see Mr. Roger Nevells and get your wreath PKG. Older Scouts not selling PLEASE-PLEASE pass your customer list off to a younger Scout.
9) Last, but not least > Hope to see you at Keith Sellers Eagle Court of Honor Wed night 18 October, 7:30 PM @ Joy Lutheran Sanctuary.
Scouts & Parents......I highly recommend this training for all scouts & adult campers......I have been many times over the years, as well as many of our T219 leaders. See attached documents for additional INFO & schedule. YOU must register online. Bring a thermos full of hot chocolate & snacks for the day. Day pack recommended
Join Great Alaska Council for the premier cold weather and winter survival training in Alaska! Space is limited so sign up today!
Okpik or ukpik (the Inupiaq word for snowy owl, pronounced ook pick) is the Great Alaska Council’s cold winter weather training program.
Register online...cost is $35 dollars >https://scoutingevent.com/610-10545
This year, Okpik will take place December 3 & 4 and will be an overnight < optional. Participants, who should include adult leaders & parents with limited winter camping experience and senior scouts in leadership positions or younger scouts accompanied by an adult. You will learn principles of staying warm in a cold environment through proper hydration, nutrition, clothing, shelter and gear. Training will also cover the prevention and treatment of cold weather injuries. Lessons will take place on cooking and sanitation in a winter setting as well as the recognition of winter risks in planning unit activities. Leave No Trace in a winter setting will also be discussed.
Participants should dress for the weather inside and out...layers. You will arrive at 7:30 on Saturday morning in Camp Gorsuch (not in Carlquist!) with opening ceremonies beginning at 8. Instruction, both lecture and hands-on work will continue throughout the day with both lunch and dinner provided. Testing for certification will take place at about 7:30 p.m. In the evening there will be a guest lecture or film. On Sunday morning, a quick breakfast and optional activities will be provided. The closing ceremony and awards will follow.
Questions or applications to serve as staff (see back) should be directed to:
Dorn Van Dommelen
Great Alaska Council Service Center
3117 Patterson St
Anchorage, Alaska 99504
When & Where
Saturday 12-03-2016 7:30 AM to
Sunday 12-04-2016 11:00 AM
22700 Camp Gorsuch Rd
Chugiak, Alaska 99567
> Questions...Let me know
> Steve Puterbaugh
> SM, Troop 219
> ER, AK
Scouts & Parents,
This weekend is a scheduled backpack hike & overnight campout up the Peters Creek trail...fairly easy 3-4 miles. So far we have 1-adult Scouter-Mr. Lundgren & 6-scouts signed up to go. It would be great if we had about 6 more scouts & mandatory at least 1 more adult to make this happen. With just one adult, this outing is dead in the water!
Adult parents, committee members, and ASM's are all welcome to hike & camp. We'll keep this event open until Wednesday night - Thursday morning to call it yes/no, depending on required adult supervision. This is a perfect opportunity for our older scouts to provide leadership to and work on advancements with the younger boys.
Approx times 10am Saturday start & return around noon-1 pm on Sunday. Campers will need trail meals: 2-lunches, 1-breakfast, & 1-dinner., plus snacks & water. Tents, MSR stoves, & cooking gear can & will be supplied by the troop. Other gear & backpacks available on request. Let me know what gear is needed.
Dress for the weather in layers and NO Cotton. A backpack outing check list was provided in the last email & at Sunday's meeting. Adjust as needed for overnight trek. A pre-hike bag/gear inspection will be available upon request for first time hikers / backpackers if needed. ..Thurs or Fri evening.
Let's make this Happen!!! Please reply to myself & Carl Lundgren to join the crew.
More details will be available Thursday-Fri after final headcount.
Call or text me
SM, Troop 219
The latest news on our activities.